Strawberry is the favorite fruit of many people. The problem is that because it is a seasonal fruit, that is, it has a specific time of year in which it is harvested, it ends up being difficult to find in the markets. So, learn how to grow strawberries and never have to go through this quest again.
How to plant strawberry
Strawberry is not a fruit that grows on a large tree, like apples and blackberries, for example. It is considered a creeping plant and is between 10 and 20 cm tall. Therefore, it is possible to plant it in small spaces.
As a result, even those who live in an apartment and do not have a backyard with land can have their own plantation.
Among the different methods, we list the simplest and easiest:
- How to plant strawberry in the pot
- How to plant strawberry with fruit
- How to plant strawberry in the pet bottle
- How to plant strawberry in plc. pipe
- How to plant strawberry in the ground
To find out how each one works, check out the step by step!
How to plant strawberry in the pot
This method allows your crop to be anywhere, both indoors and outdoors. On the other hand, if you want to have a green space indoors, be sure to check other options for indoor plants.
In addition, the fruit can be placed in any type of vase, as long as it has holes in the bottom for water drainage.
For this step, you will need the following materials:
- A fertile land, rich in organic material
- strawberry seedling
- a small shovel or spoon
- Place the vase in a place that gets the sun for only one period of the day;
- Add land;
- Use a shovel or spoon to make a hole of at least 20cm in the middle of the earth;
- Take your seedling out of the plastic bag and bury it in the space;
- Leave only the thickest stem above the surface;
- Finally, if you have several seedlings, plant them with a distance of 25 to 30 cm between them.
How to plant strawberry with fruit
If you have fruit at home, you can start your strawberry planting today! The best thing is to use an organic fruit to start the process. After all, they are free from pesticides and, therefore, are much easier to adapt to your plantation.
To plant strawberries with the fruit you will need:
- Two or more strawberries, preferably organic
- Disposable cups
- germinated land
- plastic film
- Punch a hole in each disposable cup;
- Then put the substrate of the earth;
- Separately, place the strawberries in a sieve and place under running water, until the pulp separates from the seeds;
- Take the seeds and place them in the cup with the substrate;
- Then, water and let the water run through the hole made in the bottom of the glass;
- Finally, cover the glass with the film.
It is important to moisten the soil during the week so that it is perfect to germinate. That way, when the plants already have roots and some leaves, you can transfer them to a more suitable place for planting.
How to plant strawberry in the pet bottle
Almost everyone has a pet bottle at home, but what few people know is that it can be quite a shelter for planting strawberries. Want to know how? First, let’s start with the materials you need:
- 1 pet bottle
- 1 glass of sand
- Half broken Styrofoam cup
- strawberry seedling
- 1 1/2 cup of earth
Check out the best products for your home:
View Prices →
- Use scissors to cut about 5cm from the bottom of the bottle;
- Still using the scissors, make a hole in the bottle cap;
- Hang the cut bottle upside down and place the Styrofoam;
- Mix the sand and earth and put half in the bottle;
- Place the strawberry seedling and add the rest of the previous mixture;
- Finally, water regularly.
How to plant strawberry in PVC pipe
If you have a piece of PVC pipe in your house, left over from some work, use it to be the place for planting strawberries. A tip is to use the 120mm. To make the place even more stylish, it can serve as a decoration in your leisure area, even forming a hanging garden.
The only rule is to use the pipe horizontally.
- 1 PVC pipe
- Mountain range
- Drilling machine
- earthworm humus
- strawberry seedling
- Place the tube horizontally and use the saw to make a large opening at the top, like a rectangle;
- Then use the drill to drill holes in the underside. They will be needed for water drainage;
- Mix the substrate with the earthworm humus and place in the tube;
- Finally, add the strawberry seedlings and water.
How to plant strawberry in the ground
For those who have a space of land in the backyard, it is worth betting on the primitive idea of planting, that is, planting strawberries directly in the ground. Although it seems like a simple technique, it is not enough to just open a hole in the ground and place the strawberry.
Therefore, it is necessary to prepare the land on which it will be placed and monitor the planting daily, so that it is receiving the right water and sun.
To grow strawberry in the ground, you will need the following items:
- 2kg of humus for half a square meter of plantation
- strawberry seedling
- With the shovel, open a bed in the ground about 30cm deep;
- If the objective is to produce in several rows, separate them about 40cm apart;
- Place the substrate and humus in the open hole and plant the strawberry seedling.
- Finally, water daily.
In this case, it is important to emphasize that strawberries should not be in the sun throughout the day. So choose a spot in your backyard or garden that gets the sun for about 8 hours a day.
Unfortunately, following the step by step is not enough to guarantee a fertile and fruitful crop. Therefore, there are some special precautions that need to be taken, in addition, of course, to knowing the specifics of the strawberry.
Climate and temperature
Strawberry is a fruit that needs sun to survive, but not too much. In other words, place your seedling in a place that only gets the sun for a period of the day.
Also, checking the temperature of the place is also very important. This plant does not support a very large temperature variation. Therefore, it must be in a location that varies between 13 and 26 degrees.
On the other hand, the strawberry tree has a very thin stem and this ends up turning it into a very sensitive plant to wind and rain. In this case, keep the plantation protected.
To bear fruit, the plant needs a lot of organic material in the soil, which is why humus is so important.
Also, water daily but don’t leave the soil soaked. As a result, add only what is necessary to make the earth moist.
Fungi and Weeds
Always check that there are no weeds in the ground so that they can hinder the growth of strawberries.
To avoid contamination with fungi, it is recommended that the fruit does not touch the ground. Therefore, cover the earth with straw or pine bark. In addition to protecting the fruit, this natural resource allows the normal entry of water during watering.
Strawberry is not a plant that spreads easily, so pruning can only be done when there is some kind of fungus or when some piece is weakened.
If you no longer want to have your strawberry tree in a vase, pet bottle, and PVC pipe and even on earth, know that it is possible to transport it with peace of mind. As a result, the only caution is with regard to root breakage. If this happens, the plant is more susceptible to contamination.
Another important tip is that because it is seasonal, there is a period of the year when planting is most effective. Therefore, plant between late summer and late autumn.
In addition, the plant bears fruit in just five years, and the first harvest must be made in the first year of planting.
You start seeing results from you’re planting in about 60 to 80 days. But if it doesn’t happen within this period, don’t worry! This could be a consequence of the climate in your region.
Therefore, it is worth insisting for a longer period.
When harvesting the fruits, do not take them when they are not ripe enough. In conclusion, wait until they are quite red.